Blackheath Bluecoat School © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Home. Contact. Greenwich Blue Coat School 1700. School Archives Introduction. St John's National Schools. Blackheath & Kidbrook Schools. Blackheath Bluecoat School . Site Map. Blue Coat School

A history of Blackheath Bluecoat School


Home. Contact. Greenwich Blue Coat School 1700. School Archives Introduction. St John's National Schools. Blackheath & Kidbrook Schools. Blackheath Bluecoat School . Site Map. 1700
~
2014
 Blackheath Bluecoat Pupils help
St Alfege’s celebrate 1000 years

More>

On Thursday 19th April 2012 pupils from the school took part in the Pilgrimage Service and Eucharist to mark the thousandth anniversary of St Alfege’s martydom on the site where  the Parish Church of St Alfege Greenwich stands today. The preacher was the Most Rev’d Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury. Also present was the Bishop of Bergen in Norway, the Rt Rev’d Halvor Nordhaug, the Bishop of Southwark, the Rt Rev’d Christopher Chessun and the Bishop of Woolwich, the Rt Rev’d Michael Ipgrave. During the service two pupils from Blackheath Bluecoat School led the intercessions with the school chaplain, the Rev’d Liz Newman. Banners were on display which had been designed by pupils from Blackheath Bluecoat School representing each of the school houses, which are named after distinguished modern Christians.

Francess, Archbishop of Canterbury and Samson after the service at St Alfege’s, Greenwich

Historical note

The forerunner of the present school (Greenwich Blue Coat Girls’ School) had a strong association with St Alfege’s. Mrs Flamsteed and the ladies who founded the school all attended the church and much of the early history refers to the parish. In 1758 the Archbishop of Canterbury (Dr Thomas Secker) preached the annual sermon at St Alfege’s to help raise funds for the school. £100, 4 shillings and two pence was collected. The cost of running the school in 1758 was £310, 2 shillings and three farthings. A number of bequests to the school appear on the Benefactions Board in the church.

Benefactrions Board in St Alfege’s Church
Hover mouse over image to enlarge