Mike Leader© 2014 All Rights Reserved

Home. Contact. Greenwich Blue Coat School 1700. School Archives Introduction. St John's National Schools. Blackheath & Kidbrook Schools. Blackheath Bluecoat School . Site Map. Blue Coat School

A history of Blackheath Bluecoat School


Home. Contact. Greenwich Blue Coat School 1700. School Archives Introduction. St John's National Schools. Blackheath & Kidbrook Schools. Blackheath Bluecoat School . Site Map. 1700
~
2014

1700    

Blue Coat School for Girls    

founded as a charity school for 30 girls by a group of     

ladies including Mrs Margaret Flamsteed,    

wife of John Flamsteed, Astronomer Royal.    

School House in London Street     

(now Greenwich High Road)    

    

    

1748 - 1753    

School moves to Lime Kiln Lane (now South Street).    

Land leased from Morden College.    

    

    

1825    

School granted a lease on a building at 'The Point',    

at the top of Royal Hill, which later became Point Hill.    


1854    

St John's National C of E School    

the first Church School in Blackheath.    

Sited in Russell (now Reynolds) Place.    

Separate Boys', Girls' & Infants' departments.    

    

    

1907    

London County Council withdraw support from the    

Boys' Department because of dilapidated buildings.    

    

1911    

Blackheath & Kidbrooke CE School    

opened after a public appeal for funds.    

The school incorporated St John's National Schools    

and was built at a cost of £4750     

on an ajoining site in Old Dover Road,    

 given by Sir Spencer Maryon Wilson,    


1959         

Blackheath and Bluecoat Secondary CE School         

formed by amalgamating the Blue Coat School for Girls and the Blackheath & Kidbrooke CE School         

on the present site in Old Dover Road.         

         

1960 - 63         

School enlarged to three form entry and site extended by acquisition of ajoinging land for a playing field.         

School building extended in 1961 and 1963.         

         

1966         

Blackheath Bluecoat CE School         

Governors agreed to the Head Master's suggestion to change the name of the school.         

         

1968 - 1972         

Process begins to enlarge the school from a three form entry Secondary Modern School with 300 pupils         

to a fully comprehensive six form entry school with 1080 pupils.         

Building work began in April 1972.         

         

 1973 - 1974         

The new building opened in stages. First fully comprehensive intake of 180 pupils in September 1973.         

In 1974 the school was officially opened and dedicated by Rt Rev Dr Mervyn Stockwood, Bishop of Southwark.         

         

2009         

Blackheath Bluecoat School becomes part of a Federation with Saint Cecilia's ,Wandsworth Church of England School


2014

 Greenwich Council closes Blackheath Bluecoat School ending 3014 years of education provision


Blackheath Bluecoat History at a glance

Back>